Mobile App Prototyping 101 : Advantages and Disadvantages
Want a successful mobile app? Start with mobile app prototyping
First things first! When you are planning to get the app idea into a reality, the first thing you have to do is prototyping. Mobile app prototyping is the most important step to creating a great app. It is an excellent technique that allows you to play with your ideas and concepts. Also, it gives you valuable feedback from your targeted audiences. So, you can shape the final designs according to the expectations of your customer before you even begin the development.
Once you define your goals and what makes you different from the problem you are solving, you may feel excited to jump straight into start designing the app. But, if you are looking for a robust mobile app, take one step back, and start making paper wire-framing. Sketch out a rough paper prototype. Visualize its key functionality and main user flows. Get some insights on the pros and cons of the mobile app prototyping to understand how to start with it.
Prototyping is an iterative process to model a specific aspect of the mobile app. At least one prototype needs to be produced in the early stages of mobile application development life cycle. So that the developers would understand what you want and how you want your app to be look or function like.
There are many benefits of making a prototype in the early stages, below list includes a few of them. Let’s have a look-
- Developers can easily identify possible improvements and understand the end user expectations early on the process which ensures better quality app delivered.
- It better fulfills the expectation of the users as it involves end users in the development to know what they anticipate.
- It helps you to identify as well as rectify a problem at the early stages, so in a way, it’s cost saving.
- Making prototypes before the mobile app development also ensures a staff training while the real app is still being fully developed.
- Estimating development costs, timescale, skills and potential resource requirements becomes easy for a developer through prototyping.
- Exploring ideas and exchanging feedback with the client and end-user will help you in developing solutions that would fit your purpose.
We all know this – everything has its good and bad things. So has the mobile app prototyping. However, it’s vital to identify problems for prototyping solutions to create a better UX design. It has a few cons too, but not really damaging. Let’s see what are they:-
- To test or check a prototype, you may ask the end users to provide feedback on the design. By which, you will be asked for more tweaks than required. So it will cause delays in development.
- For better user experience, sometimes a few features that were designed for the prototype are being removed from the original work. So, if the final app differs more than the prototype, this may disappoint or confuse the users.
- The end users might ask for various features which were never there in the original user requirements specification. So, this might increase the development time and costs.
- As prototyping is the starting stage of the development process while focusing a lot of time in the prototype the other parts might get neglected.
As we see, the cons are not really damaging. So you can still stick to your choice of prototyping. Avoid wasting time in the design process without prototyping. Prototyping for the mobile app is easy if you are using the right tools in a right way. Prototyping is expected to simplify the design process to incorporate design and prototyping into the same tool. It saves a lot of time as well as money from unnecessary things. So, the above-mentioned cons can be avoided, though you have to make sure that the prototyping process has been done effectively.
So you have your app prototype with you. Now, what? It’s time for the development of the app. You must be looking for an agency who can meet your requirements and surpass the end user’s’ needs. You can contact us for your mobile app development. Avail our free consultation for your iOS and Android mobile app development.